How to Perform Random Acts of Kindness
The act of being kind to others around you tends to create a harmonious society. Random acts of kindness are beneficial not only on the receiving end but also for the individuals performing them. Acts of kindness biologically, socially and spiritually benefits those who perform them regularly. The said advantages are listed below:
- Production of oxytocin: Essentially, performing random acts of kindness increases the Oxytocin in the body. Oxytocin is a hormone responsible for increasing one’s level of self-esteem and optimism. Furthermore, the increased level of oxytocin also reduces blood pressure while improving the functioning of the heart.
- Lowered levels of cortisol: Cortisol is also known as the stress hormone. Fundamentally, individuals who engage in kind, community service activities are observed to have lower levels of cortisol. Furthermore, the findings of a study recently reported a correlation between slow ageing and habitually performing kind acts.
- Increases lifespan: Christine Carter, a sociologist, and an author reported the following statistics. According to her research, individuals who regularly volunteer have lower muscle pains and overall improved health. Individuals of age 55 and older, who simultaneously volunteer at two or more organisations have a 44% lower rate of dying early.
- Reduction of pain: Fundamentally, the performance of kind acts physically assists in lowering the level of pain. Kindness is directly linked to the production of endorphins, which are the natural pain killers in the human body.
- Generation of serotonin: Kindness also assists the individual in the development of serotonin. Serotonin is a feel-good chemical which is responsible for creating a soothing effect for the person in the body. The level of serotonin is also found in various anti-depressants, as it can uplift the individual’s overall mood. As a result, performing kind acts is scientifically proven to lower the rate of depression, as well as anxiety among individuals.
Due to the benefits above, contributing your kindness to the world is an essential part of life. To experience the helper’s high, the following activities can be carried out:
- Hire a UKEssays writing company for a friend
- Bake cookies for old-age homes
- Leave money on the vending machine
- Feed the homeless
- Volunteer at orphanages
- Cook for your friends
- Run a marathon for a charity organisation
- Leave notes of positivity for the people around you
- Tell someone why you love them
- Hand out cold beverages on a hot day
- Volunteer at an animal shelter
- Pay for someone’s travel fare
- Plant a tree
- Buy someone new shoes
- Deliver handmade gifts
- Compliment someone
- Pick up litter
- Donate old clothes to a charity
- Show yourself love and treat yourself!
Performing random acts of kindness do not have to take up your entire day, rather the simplest gestures such as smiling can really improve someone else’s as well as your day. So, take the initiative and experience the positive results in your life.