Everything in life requires a structure. Without foundation, nothing will cease to exist. Thus, your educational institutions provide you with a push to learn the art of applying a structure in everyday academic projects.
The project of essay writing is the basic project assigned at the university level, which stresses the significance of applying a formal structure. Once you learn how to structure an essay, you will find it relatively easy to write other projects by a certain outline. The following guide can educate you on the tips to structure an essay:
- Write the introduction: Every essay begins with an introductory paragraph, which enlightens the reader with background information on the topic being discussed. To write an introduction, you are required to carry out extensive research and select the information which is the most relevant.The introduction should be laconic yet intriguing. When you write an introduction, ensure the inclusion of factual data, which has the potential to captivate the reader. The reader determines their interest in the essay based on their initial impression of the introduction. Thus, invest the majority of the time in the introduction section of the essay.
- Add a thesis statement: Within the introduction, the thesis statement is assimilated. A thesis statement is a one-line summary of the content displayed in the essay. This statement is added to inform the reader about the various arguments which will be discussed in the following paragraphs.
- Elaborate the body: The body of the essay is built on the basis of the thesis statement. In most cases, a paragraph is dedicated to the discussion of each argument. The traditional five-paragraph essay comprises three body paragraphs. However, they may vary from essay to essay.
- Insert references: Additionally, you are also required to add references to verify the accuracy of your arguments. For that purpose, inserting in-text citations is necessary. Most universities make it mandatory for students to add a section of bibliography after the conclusion of the essay. This factor determines the authenticity of the information accumulated.Furthermore, the insertion of references also functions as a saviour against the plagiarism detection software. The software does not flag essays with proper citations for including similar content.
- Certify coherency: A well-structured essay certifies coherency between the paragraphs. Make sure you use well written transitional statements and create subtle links between the paragraphs. Similarly, construct the sentences and avoid redundancy in writing.
- Conclude: The conclusion of the essay is a concise summary of the overall project. However, while writing the conclusion, make sure that you do not repeat the previous statements. Rather, the conclusion should be written after viewing the arguments above. Do not include any new arguments in conclusion, rather provide closure to the readers.
Writing an essay without a structure is similar to driving without having a set destination in mind. It takes up too much time and leads to confusion. Thus, it is crucial for you to familiarise yourself with the provided structure and consequently, create a flawless, cohesive and informative essay.